• Announcements

• Comp_uter15776

Staff Applications Open!   01/01/2017

NB We have a new opening - Media Creator! It's that time again where we are allowing the community to signal their interest in joining the Rustafied team. We aim to have a broad range of individuals and as such have only a handful of prerequisites, but please submit your application anyway, even if you don't think we will bring you on - you never know! You can do this by heading to www.rustaforum.com/support and submitting a new application by choosing the "Staff Applications - Rustafied" department. From there it should be self explanatory. The criteria: Over the age of 18 Minimal ties to factions Previous experience is definitely a bonus However, as aforementioned, we take each application on a case-by-case basis. We will allow submissions for a couple of weeks before reviewing them. See you around! ~ Comp_uter15776
Egg Salad

Creating a server help

Question

I was on this site here (http://www.rustafied.com/how-to-host-your-own-rust-server/) learning to make a rust server but something wont work. The .bat file won't affect the server if its running or not (the .bat) like it won't change the name, the port, max players or anything. If you have anything to contribute, please don't hesitate to comment

P.S. the .bat file, when I run it, it goes in a loop, pretty sure that's because of the goto start at the end of the .bat file

this is what I put in:

echo off
:start
D:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir c:\rustserver\ +app_update 258550 +quit
RustDedicated.exe^
-batchmode^
-server.port 28015^
-server.hostname "Rustafied.com Guides - Test"^
-server.description "Functional server testing for Rustafied.com Guide editors."^
-server.url "Http://rustafied.com"^
-server.headerimage "http://i.imgur.com/ujMCXvA.png"^
-server.seed 8675309^
-server.maxplayers 21^
-server.worldsize 4000^
-server.identity Rustafied_com_Guides^
-autoupdate
goto start

the server see though (8675309 song)

2017-01-06-1511-29.mp4

12 answers to this question

Hi,

Have you tried using the code snippet beforehand? It looks like in the process of transferring that batch file it's not properly copying the escaped batch properly. The caret (^) symbol is used to essentially say "this line is actually a continuation of the preceding line" so 

RustDedicated.exe^

-batchmode^

means "RustDedicated.exe-batchmode" when you should have "RustDedicated.exe -batchmode". That spacing that separates the flags from the exe file is important. You could try simply adding a space between the caret of RustDedicated.exe and the dash before the batchmode line.

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry, I can't understand you very well. Could you re-write your wording as if you were explaining it to an 8 year old? As in, very simply. I will try to understand what you are saying though.

I think you meant to write it like this:

RustDedicated.exe ^-
batchmode^

am I right?

P.S: I am coming back to edit and it seems nothing is different. Still 500 max players and same title.

Edited by Egg Salad

Firstly, try this version and modify it:

echo off :start C:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir c:\rustserver\ +app_update 258550 +quit RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -server.port 28015 -server.hostname "Rustafied.com Guides" -server.seed 8675309 -server.maxplayers 50 -server.worldsize 4000 -server.identity Rustafied_com_Guides -autoupdate goto start

and if that fails, try spacing your flags like so:

RustDedicated.exe^
 -batchmode^

(note the space) but doing that for all of them.

Posted (edited)

Ok, I tried doing the first version but it just opened the CMD for half a second maybe even less. The second version (with the spaces) ran the RustDedicated.exe instead of me having to double-click on it, but none of the factors (max players, name etc) changed.

I should have said this, but i am installing steam cmd and rust server on D:\ and I did changed it in the .bat file.

Edited by Egg Salad

i realized I can change the factors in the cmd, so there's no need to do this. BUT it would be helpful if the CMD just listened to the batch so I don't have to type in server.maxplayers 21 (or some random number) every time.

The references in the batch file (that's all it is really) should be updated to reflect any personal changes like it being on a different drive or within a separate directory. So if you're trying to launch steamcmd from your D: drive but have a reference to the C: drive then it won't work naturally.

The problem with modifying it in the console itself is that I believe after restart your configuration is overwritten by the batch file you're launching from. Here's a sample batch file with your given parameters:

echo off :start D:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\rustserver\ +app_update 258550 +quit RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -server.port 28015 -server.hostname "Egg Salad's Server" -server.seed 1337 -server.maxplayers 21 -server.worldsize 4000 -server.identity egg_salads_server -autoupdate goto start

Posted (edited)

nice 1337 touch, but im still not sure it works because the CMD still opens and then closes really quickly. I put "pause" at the start to look at it and it shows the coding (as in the whole line of text) but no commands I believe are being executed. here is a recording of it. Later I point to the server.worldsize and I notice the w is cut off from the rest of the word (like this: "w

orldsize")

2017-01-07-1119-55.mp4

Edited by Egg Salad

That line is just because it's showing the line below (if you expanded your CMD width horizontally, it should show this).

What happens if you remove this segment? 

D:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir D:\rustserver\ +app_update 258550 +quit 

Posted (edited)

When I remove it, it just says this D:\rustserver>pause echo off :start RustDedicated.exe... (and so on) and if I take the pause off, it just flashes on my screen for a moment again. (complicated computers are complicated)

Edited by Egg Salad

Posted (edited)

Well here let me copy and paste it here. 

echo off :start RustDedicated.exe -batchmode -server.port 28015 -server.hostname "Egg Salad's Server" -server.seed 1337 -server.maxplayers 21 -server.worldsize 4000 -server.identity egg_salads_server -autoupdate goto start

this is what I have, and the application flashes, with the caret and spaces though, it runs the RustDedicated from the .bat file.

Edited by Egg Salad

So, I guess there's nothing I can do then? Well even if there is I thank you for helping me.